Wednesday, May 16, 2012







Oh growing tomatoes...at 1500 feet!


In the Green Mountains it can be a challenge to grow tomatoes. We live at 15oo feet, so the growing season is a bit shorter then just 5 miles down the mountain road leading to our small town.  Four years ago my husband made three raised beds for a small kitchen garden.  With some tips from  his mother and some innovation, we are slowly  learning some tricks to growing tomato in a short season. 





First thing every spring before we plant, my husband puts up a removable green house he made with PCV pipes and sheets of heavy plastic. This is a view from the inside so you can see how it's connected.



There are plastic PVC pipes that have been screwed into the sides of the beds.  The frame of the green house just pops right in!


 Next we buy the biggest tomatoes plants we can find.  My mother in law taught me to remove the small leaves at the bottom and plant the plant deep into the dirt.  I planted mine about two inches up the stem.  The plant will send out roots up the stem.  It makes for a hardier and healthier tomato plant.  



This year I'm planting tomato plants further apart and in rows.  I'm hoping this helps with air flow.  I've had problems with blight for the past two years.







During the day we leave the sides up and then close them again during some of the chilly spring nights.  I've planted some other herbs and vegetables in there too.  Also, I'm all storing some plants  that I plan on planting out my flower beds, after the "fear of frost".


               


                    
                  Do you have any other ideas?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment